Most of the people in North India fast during Navratri and eat only satvik food as grains and pulses are prohibited during fasting .
Sabudana(sago),Singhora ka atta(Water chestnut flour),kuttu(buck wheat flour), Sama(Barnyarn millet ),Rajgiri atta,Ramdana are commonly used for making pattices, pooris and pilafs.
All fruits can be used but in vegetables only Potato,sweet potato,colacosia ,yellow pumpkin,yam,bottle gourd,cucumber,raw banana are prefered,and only some selected spices can be used during fasting i.e sendha namak(rock salt),pepper powder,mango powder,asafoetida and cumin seeds.But it may vary from region to region and family traditions and rituals.
I often make sabudana vadas but today I wanted to try something different, so just tried this sama and potato pattice and it turn out crisp and delicious,we all loved this new and delicious recipe:)
Prep time-20 minutes
Cooking time-10 minutes
yields-approx 25 pieces
- Sama/Maraiyo/Mordhan/Varai -1/2 cup
- Potatoes/aloo ,boiled-4 (medium size)
- Green chilies,chopped-1.5 tsp
- Ginger/adrak, chopped- 1tsp
- Fresh coriander/dhaniya,chopped- 3 tbsp
- Pepper powder/kali mirch- 1tsp
- Cumin seeds/jeera- 1 tsp
- Mango powder/amchoor - 1.5 tsp
- Salt/namak -to taste
- Cooking oil/Ghee- 3 tbsp
- Add sama and 1 and 1/4 cup water in the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium heat.
- When cooker cooled down completely then take out the cooked sama in a bowl and mash with a spoon and then let it come to room temperature.
- Mix together grated potato,sama and all the ingredients and mash well.(the proportion of cooked sama and boiled potato mixture should be almost same)
- Grease your palms and make patties of same size from the mixture.
- Heat oil/ghee in a flat nonstick pan and shallow fry the patties on medium flame till they become golden and crisp from both the sides.(avoid deep frying)
- Drain on a paper napkin and serve hot.
you can also add 2 tbsp of crushed peanuts at step-3
For more fasting recipes please check -vrat ke recipes